Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Lost in Translation

Last week, we had a mid-semester orientation event. We played Bingo with British words and their American translations. Next week I’ll post the translations, but see if you can figure out what these words mean.

  • alcopop
  • dosh
  • off-license
  • plaster
  • smart
  • torch

This week is midterms week and I just emailed in my last paper. So, today technically begins my weekend – I definitely can’t complain about a weekend starting on a Tuesday! I’m off to Amsterdam tomorrow, which should be an adventure. I’ve spent the last two weekends in London, which has been great. Becca and I went to an amazing wildlife photography exhibit at the Natural History Museum, a group of us visited the London Transport Museum for Architecture class, we went on a fun pub crawl around London, and the past two days the sun has been shining which is  wonderful! I’m really beginning to feel comfortable with the city and am, surprisingly, enjoying my 45 minute tube commute to and from class each day. Below are a couple pictures from the London Transport Museum.

CSC_0546DSC_0568DSC_0548It might be hard to read, but this graph shows the number of tube journey per day. The peak at 8am with 400,000 rides.   

1 comment:

  1. Is it cheating if I've been in the UK as long as you have? :-)

    I still only know 3 of them, though. (off-license, plaster, and torch). I hope London has been as amazing in Edinburgh!

    ReplyDelete